Pagina's

Friday, April 8, 2011

I spy…something orange!

 

Carrots!

carrots

I must say I hate raw carrots, they give me headaches! But cooked, mashed or baked I love them. A couple of weeks ago I made carrotcake for the first time. I’ve already eaten some before. But at Volunteersday I finally baked one myself and also made a creamcheese icing with it.  It was delicous, if I say so myself! My favourite recipe comes from a little cookbook that we own for many years. I don’t like raisins and sultanas in my carrotcake, so I replace them by walnuts. If you do like raisins and sultanas, you can add half a cup of walnuts, a quarter cup of raisins and a quarter cup of sultanas. This is how I make my carrotcake:

Carrotcake

2 beaten eggs
1 cup raw cane sugar
1 cup grated carrot
0,75 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
1 tablespoon (tsp) gingerbreadspices
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Icing

100 g/3,53 ounce creamcheese
o,75 cup sifted sugar powder
2 tsp milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger powder
You can replace the cinnamon and ginger powder by 2 tsps of honey.

If you use a gas oven make sure that you preheat it at 180 °C/ 356 °F.
This is not necessary if you use an electric oven.
Butter a rectangular or round tin (you can use whatever you want). Put a sheet of backing paper on bottom and sides of the tin.
Mix eggs, grated carrot, oil and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients en stir until you have a moist dough. Spoon the mixture in your tin. Bake it aorung 40-45 minutes. Let it cool a bit down and put it on a grate. When cooled down completely, coat with icing.
Making the icing is quit simple. You just put all ingredients together in a bowl and stir it.

Enjoy your carrotcake :)!

Since I had bought to much carrots then I needed for my carrotcake, there where a few left.
First I wanted to make Hutspot/ Carrot Hotchpotch (?) of it. But I didn’t feel like it. So I tried something different, with the same ingredients!

Carrot Rösti

For 3-4 persons

4 potatoes
2 carrots
1 onion
1 beaten egg
2 Tbsp flour (plain flour or whole wheat flour)
1 tsp mustard
salt
pepper

DSCF7528

Grate potatoes and carrots in a big bowl. Chop the onion in tiny pieces and add to the patatoe carrot mixture. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Put some butter or oil in a hot pan. If the butter is heated well place little heaps of the picture in your pan and flatten them a little. If one side is brown, turn them over. Both sides have to be a nice golden brown.
Enjoy your meal!

No comments: